Capturing the power and grace of our country’s emblem, the “Veterans & Visionaries Memorial Eagle” stands proudly along with an American flag, atop a black granite octagonal base set on a perpetual waterfall. The Memorial features bronze plaques honoring Glenridge members who have served our nation, as well as the visionaries who laid the foundation for what our community is today. On the Memorial, each branch of the military is represented with a bronze medallion on the granite base.
- Sculptor/artist is Dawn Agnew-Mundell, a graduate of Ringling College of Art & Design.
- Dimensions: Stands nearly 12 feet high from base to wingtip. Wingspan stretches approximately 8 feet. Weight: about 1,700 lbs.
- The statue, which took approximately a year to construct, was sculpted in Monroeville, New Jersey. Molds were made and bronze poured at a foundry in Philadelphia.
- The Memorial Eagle was transported to Sarasota by tractor trailer and landed at The Glenridge on October 12, 2023.
- The sculpture was dedicated in celebration of The Glenridge’s 20th anniversary on November 10, 2023.
MAKING OF THE EAGLE
Veterans & Visionaries
Long before ground was ever broken, a group of Visionaries developed a concept that would challenge the status quo and become the nation’s first Life Fulfilling Community. The concept was originally sparked by a dedicated Board of Directors and a unique relationship with PRAXEIS, LLC, the community’s developer and operator, who brought to the table strong relationships, industry expertise, and bold vision – and risked the initial $12 million to get the project started.
The first members to join The Glenridge (“Glenridge Eagles”) formed a group called the Legacy Club – creating a sense of community before construction even began and working to build
Similarly, since The Glenridge opened in 2003, more than 350 Veterans representing all branches of the United States military – including 173 who served during World War II – have been instrumental in providing leadership, character, and insight. Currently, 85 Glenridge members are Veterans, 8 of whom served during WWII. Their service and sacrifice to our nation helped ensure the freedoms we enjoy today and their presence in our community is an ongoing source of great pride.
Both the Visionaries and the Veterans have made unique contributions to The Glenridge. The Memorial Eagle sculpture was erected in their honor – to express our gratitude, provide a permanent monument in the heart of our community … and create memories that will last forever.